A cool blend of contemporary & retro culture

What Movies Can Teach Us About Motor Vehicle Breakdowns

We’ve all sensed a certain empathy when driving past a vehicle that is pulled over on the freeway, presumably broken down. It’s a sensation usually followed by the instant mantra, “I hope that doesn’t happen to me any time soon.”

Halfords Autocentre delved into 27 films that feature vehicle breakdowns to see how lessons in vehicle maintenance can be learned from the big screen.

In the UK, more than 40 per cent of breakdowns reported to Highways England were due to vehicles running out of fuel, poor tyre maintenance, power loss, and engine trouble.

In Australia, the RAC report that on average more than 950 West Australians alone suffer car trouble every day of the year. Forty-five per cent of incidents happen in the AM, the rest happening at night.

The date of the year on which most breakdowns occur? Spookily enough, it’s December 23rd, proving that Christmas really can send us into a tizz.

Breakdowns are pretty dramatic – so it’s no surprise to see they feature on the silver screen, too. Halfords Autocentre delved into 27 films that feature vehicle breakdowns to see how lessons in vehicle maintenance can be learned from the big screen.

Where are film characters most likely to breakdown? Which cars breakdown the most? What is the most reliable vehicle used in the movies? And is it more likely for characters to break down on a road trip in a horror movie or comedy flick?

It’s interesting to note that an eye-popping 89% of film car breakdowns from the big batch of movies surveyed took place in… America. The other 11% happened in the Australian Outback (7%) and Mexico (4%).

Wherever you are in the world, keeping on top of your car maintenance means safety for you, your car and other motorists, so be sure to employ the assistance of your local auto centre.

 

Learn all you need to know and more with the help of Halfords Autocentre‘s infographic and take note of the maintenance lessons these 27 films can teach us all.

Infographic provided by Halfords Autocentre.

 

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: