Elvis Presley, Judy Garland, Anna Nicole Smith, Keith Moon and Michael Jackson. How are all these household icons related? They are but only a brief list of individuals who have died thanks to drug overdoses. Now many would say, ‘Hey, well that’s the rock’n’roll and celebrity lifestyles for you’, but actually the deaths were accidental (or apparently) all thanks to powerful concoctions of FDA approved prescription drugs.
In a recent study by Reuters Health, it has become apparent that the number of teens and young adults prescribed potentially abusable medication has doubled in the past 15 years. Now we’re not getting our knickers in a twist presuming that all young adults are drug-hungry fiends, but simply pointing out the mass number of potentially dangerous and fatal prescription drugs all over the nation’s bathroom cabinets. According to NaturalNews 100,000 people die of accidental overdoes each year in America and our very own Heath Ledger is a prime example. A cocktail of Oxycontin (a common painkiller), Valium, Xanax (an antidepressant), Vicodin and many more prescription drugs were found in his system post autopsy.
Accidental or not, it does make you think that whether young folks have a pathetic pain threshold, or doctors just aren’t stringent with their dishing, it is something it is necessary to monitor as excessive controlled medication is not an accident waiting to happen; it already has.