From the Batcycle and the Batmobile to Captain America’s Corvette, some vehicles from the Marvel and DC universes have inadvertently become the stars of fast-paced chases on the cinema screen.
The most memorable superhero car chase is in Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (2012), according to new research conducted by Quotezone.co.uk.
Coinciding with the release of ‘The Batman’ today, the new index study evaluates the number of YouTube views, likes, dislikes, and IMDb ratings to determine the biggest car chase scenes from superhero movies before it.
The chase in Batman: The Dark Knight Rises has enjoyed 17,477,506 views (at time of publication), and an IMDb film rating of 8/10 giving it a total score of 7.9 out of 10.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) comes in second due to that chase scene featuring Nick Fury and the cops that is stuck in our minds. While it has earned more than twice as many YouTube views than The Dark Knight Rises chase, a lower number of Likes per Dislike has given it a score of 7.5 out of 10.
Other popular chase scenes are the car fight scene in Deadpool (2016); the Batpod sequence chase in The Dark Knight (2008); and the black tank / tumbler chase in Batman Begins (2005).
Personally, we think The Dark Knight chase – involving Heath Ledger’s legendary performance as The Joker behind the wheel – is the wickedest. You see, where most car chases are edited as a rapid sequence, often too fast or too dark to make out what’s happening, The Dark Knight chase was in your face, clear, and even packed in the humour.
The scene, which begins with Batman’s Tumbler seamlessly transforming into the Batcycle before riding off after the Joker, scored an overall 6.6 out of 10. With 3,241,605 YouTube views to date, it has been viewed only 3% more times than the chase scene in 2005’s Batman Begins (3,142,976 views), in fifth place.
And still on the subject of Bat chases, we recently saw new release The Batman and were quite taken by the car chase scene between The Penguin and our caped crusader. While not too much screen time was given to the main chase, let’s just say it’s almost as good as The Dark Knight run in our books, and it’ll more than likely make it to the top of this list, this time next year.
Lisa Andrews & Antonino Tati
10 TOP CHASE SCENES IN MARVEL & DC SUPERHERO MOVIES
- The Dark Knight Rises (2012): Batman’s first appearance chase 7.9/10
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): Nick Fury and police chase 7.5/10
- Deadpool (2016): Car fight scene 7.1/10
- The Dark Knight (2008): Batpod sequence chase 6.6/10
- Batman Begins (2005): Black tank, Tumbler chase 6.2/10
- Captain America: Civil War (2016): Black Panther chase 6.1/10
- Black Widow (2021): Budapest car chase scene 5.6/10
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016): Batmobile chase 5.7/10
- The Avengers (2012): Loki escaping with Tesseract 4.8/10
- Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018): Car chase scene 4.5/10